Ibn Qayyim in "Medicine of the Prophet" said
- The Prophet, peace be upon him, used to like eating meat, especially the arm and the upper parts of the sheep.
- The best type of roast is the meat of a one-year old sheep, then a fat sheep.
- This type of food is hot and wet, produces black bile, but is one of the most nutritious foods for healthy, ill and recovering persons alike.
- Cooked meat is better, lighter on the stomach and has more wetness. Fried meat is less beneficial while meat dried in the sun is the worst kind.
As-Suyuti in "Medicine of the Prophet" said
- Ibn Maja and Abu Harira report the tradition that the Prophet once said: The heart rejoices in the eating of meat.
- A tradition also says that whoever eats meat on forty consecutive days, his heart will harden. It is therefore recommended to eat meat on alternate days throughout the year and on the other days to abstain from it. I think that this advice comes from Umar.
- Physicians say that meat is the most nutritious of foods, making the body fruitful and strong.
- Fine rice with the fat of sheep’s’ kidneys is better than a large purge. This is a medical secret.